Films and sharks and stuff

Hello! Happy Saturday!

There are a few films which everyone is expected to have seen, and you are treated like a leper if it emerges that you haven't seen one of these films. A year or so ago, I was one of these people. I hadn't seen The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction or Fight Club. Don't worry, I have now seen all three. But before I had, the reaction I got from people who found out I hadn't seen them was something along the lines of: "OH EM GEE, you haven't SEEN it? How is that even POSSIBLE? What is WRONG with you?!?!?!?!?!" I don't know why it offended people so much, but eventually I grew tired of the incredulous expressions people gave me and made the effort to watch them. The Shawshank Redemption I absolutely loved, and I've seen it 2 or 3 more times since first watching it. I think everyone loves that movie anyway, I've never met anyone who doesn't like it. Fight Club I liked a lot too, although I haven't watched it since, I don't think it's one I could watch too many times, but it is good. Pulp Fiction...it was alright, I suppose. I didn't hate it, but I think it's possibly one of the most overrated films ever made. A lot of people will probably hate me for saying that, but it's just how I feel about it. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino, I don't know.

Anyway, this post came about because I was on the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) website last night looking at their top 250 films. Shawshank is at number 1 (quite rightly), but Pulp Fiction is at number 5 and that really doesn't sit right with me, especially as Jaws is down at 115.  

Jaws is one of my all time favourite films. I saw it for the first time round at a friend's house when I was 8 or 9 and I've been fascinated by sharks ever since. I love shark documentaries and movies - not including Jaws 3 and 4 - as anyone in my family is well aware. As well as thinking that sharks are really cool, I am also completely terrified of them, and you couldn't pay me to go swimming with them because I've heard far too many stories of things going wrong. It's kind of a shame, because it would be so awesome - but at the same time I'd really like to keep all my limbs. I'll stay on the beach making sandcastles, thank you very much.

Moving away from sharks, this week I discovered theoatmeal.com. It's an online comic, and like any comic, not all of it is funny, but some of it is absolutely hilarious. I think that this one is my favourite, but click here and you can see all of them.

Oh, and also here is the IMDb top 250. I'm going to try and watch all of them. Not right now obviously, but as and when I have time.

Today I'm loving: How much work I got done. Spending most of the day in the Liberry isn't the funnest way to spend a Saturday, but it does give you a real sense of accomplishment.

Today I'm hatin': Nothing, it's been a pretty good day.

Song of the Day: Running From Your Dad by Bowling For Soup. I just love the lyrics: And I can still see your Dad/Running after me with a shovel in his hand/I don't remember much after that. Genius.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...